In this article we will comment on some points why we consider that the application of BIM methodology favors prefabrication projects.
At Axet we have been part of BIM projects for companies where much of the construction is done in the factory (workshop), and then moved to the site for final assembly. We call this prefabrication or industrialized construction.
Some of the construction systems in which we have worked in this line have been steel framing, wood, CLT panels, precast concrete and containers.
BIM and Prefabrication
In all cases, the advantages obtained through the application of BIM to favor prefabrication have been:
- Decreasing rework. Through the precise coordination of MEP installations, it has been possible to know where the systems should go and what passes the architecture or structure should leave them, in order to avoid conflicts.
- Purchase with precision. By modeling each entity to be used and incorporating its assembly code, the amount of material to be purchased is known precisely.
- Complete and virtually error-free manufacturing drawings.
- Reduce time deviations. With coordination done digitally, with drawings with the necessary information and with all materials on site at the right time, a high alignment with work plans is achieved.
- Cost reduction. From the union of the above advantages, increased working conditions and productivity.
4 KEYS TO WORKING WITH PREFABRICATED SYSTEMS
1. Design from the beginning considering that this type of construction systems will be used. Otherwise, the efficiency of the system is drastically reduced.
2. Work with consultants who are specialists in the systems to be used. The experience of the consultants favors the efficiency of these, while the non-experience can generate conflict of interests.
3. Involve factory builders in the design of the product and in the establishment of information requirements.
4. Standardize the design and process. Both from the preliminary design stage, as well as in the definition of the documentation to be extracted and in the constructive resolutions.
It is necessary to stop thinking of this type of system only for small scales. With some of the companies we are working with at Estudio ESE we are working on projects of 4-5 levels and over 3000 m2.
If you would like to receive more information about BIM implementation for prefabrication or other services. Do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or through our contact form.